Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Zoo and Friends!!

My friend (we'll call her S) had major surgery about 3 weeks ago now and to help her out we (my husband and I and our friend Laurel) decided to treat her to a day without kids.  So, we planned a fun day at the Zoo and went with it.

We met up at S's house and got her two kids, then our little convoy headed to the Zoo.  It was a perfect day today for the Zoo, 80 degrees, a light breeze, and lots of things to do and see.  Upon our arrival at the Zoo we hit the bathrooms...I took S's daughter and Laurel took S's son...what I did not expect was that I would have to wipe a bottom (first time, but definitely not the last as we are going to start potty training here soon with Alonzo). 

After we were all settled and in the zoo with plenty of sunscreen and such we headed towards the elephants.  I really enjoyed spending time with S's kids, they are soooooooooooo well behaved, polite, and listen well (especially considering they really don't know Laurel, Jesus, or me well).  We went from elephants to see baby mountain goats and big horn sheep to eating lunch, then on to the flamingos, monkeys, and giraffes.  The kids were really enjoying these sites.

What was the cutest things of the day, was not the baby animals (although the goslings, and other baby animals ran a close second), but rather S's daughter and my son holding hands and telling each other "I love you" and S's daughter saying "Alonzo is my new best friend".   Totally cute and made my heart soar...has my son found his first love of a girl other then me??  LOL!

At about 1:30 or 2 we decided to treat the kids to coloring and goodies (ice-cream or icees) and then we headed to the cars (both the kids and the adults were ready to head home for naps).  S's kids amazed me and my son amazed me at how well he handled the day.

Going into today I was afraid of something horrible happening (losing a child, a child getting hurt, or something else), but in all it was a perfect day!  I amazed myself at being able to multi-task the way I did, I handled the kids well, and I didn't lose anyone!!!

I was especially happy that Laurel and I were able to give such a great friend and mentor (at school and in life) a day off so she could rest and heal.  I am so proud of my friend and happy to help in this way!!!  After all, what are friend for, if not to help?

No comments:

Post a Comment